Monday, August 1, 2011

I think I've got things figured out.

After much thinking this weekend, and a great chat with one of the ASMs at markdowns last night. I think I've got the next chapter in my life figured out.

If I get offered the job in Texas, I am going to decline. That may be a shock to some, as this would be a fantastic opportunity, however, this decision totally makes sense. And I'm doing something for myself. Which sometimes I do overlook. One of the factors that contribute to this is money, as being a manager would earn me more than going down to Texas and starting from scratch. And I enjoy the store setting a lot. I'm not a cubicle girl, at all. I have learned this.

So here is the plan.

Step One. Wait to hear from Corporate. Tell them I will think about the position overnight if I am given an offer, but graciously decline. Then have a discussion with my GSM at work about possible management positions in the near future (and adding in that I have applied for AmeriCorps, for two reasons - 1) so she knows the truth that I might up and move without a ton of notice and 2) to put pressure on her that I might up and move.)

Step Two. Be persistent with the two AmeriCorps positions I'm interested in. The first position is working as an Independent Living Skills mentor with the foster home, Youthnet, north of Seattle. I would assist with the transition of young adults being on their own, since at age 18 they no longer receive assistance. So introducing budgets, finding work, being independent, applying to schools, all that jazz is encompassed with the position. The second position is as a Program Assistant for the Girls Rock YMCA camp, out of the YMCA Seattle with the camp taking place on the San Juan Islands in July 2012. I would help recruit girls around the greater area of Seattle for this 10 week camp, promoting why they should apply and help with the planning and preparation that goes into the camp and then I serve as a Camp Counselor at the camp. The camp is centered around rock climbing and building self-confidence for these girls, who are middle schoolers through high schoolers. Both positions sound like a great fit for me and I would love going to work to help others. The positions have a September 1st start date, which is only one month away. So who knows, things could happen quite quickly. And both end by August 2012. To which I would come back home to Minnesota and take the next step in my life, whether that be back with CC, applying for another AmeriCorps position, or finding one of the government jobs that you can gain access to with AmeriCorps experience.

Step Three. There really aren't any more steps. I have given both my options above. Another advantage to the management route if I don't get the AmeriCorps positions, is that there is talk of a new store opening in about 6-8 months at Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove. To which, more than likely I would be an ASM. Which is also exciting. They will have the 2012 store set-up which is completely different from the stores now. Oh boy, retail is drawing me in...

Step Four. (I know there was no step three, but now I'm making a list). If I am here in Minnesota, I will have a couple trips in my future:

1) Cancun, Mexico late this Fall
2) The UK in June 2012

So, I mean, I love traveling, and this is exciting. If I'm away, chances are I won't be able to get off work to take these trips. Not impossible, but a bit more limited.

So, this is where I am at. And I'm okay with that.
01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment