Thursday, May 26, 2011

A few of my favorite things.

I've gone through many phases in my life. Materialistically speaking. In elementary school I wore hand-me-downs from my cousin or too big t-shirts from who knows where. Middle school brought out more of a preppy side in myself, when I thought Aeropostale was cool although I couldn't even pronounce the name, and to this day, still don't know how. High school became a mix of everything, I realized how great Target was for absolutely everything. Yet, also tried to upgrade to American Eagle in order to fit in. This AE urge was brought out even more Sophomore year in college when influences from friends pushed me to spend way too much money on not that comfy of clothing.

I enjoy department stores. The basics of Kohl's, Target, JcPenney's, and Old Navy. Cheap, always changing, yet clothing that holds up to the ability I put it through. I've had the urge to own a Coach bag, perhaps even shoes, but will I ever? No. My biggest splurge I have is a pair of Fossil sunglasses. That I adore. And take care of probably the most out of anything I own. Could I ever justify spending over 100 bucks on a bag that will one day have to rest on a bathroom floor at a rest stop at who knows where? No. Why pay for something that does nothing for me when the bag I currently use came free from a perfume purchase my mom made over 5 years ago. That's a rhetorical question.

Now present day, I enjoy Goodwill. A lot. I've found awesome shirts that have barely been worn. I've found countless books that I would never pay full price for. And I've also gotten the most compliments from clothing purchased here. Where else can you find a pair of jeans that is already worn in for you? I don't mind it one bit. Thanks previous owner for taking weeks of work off my hands. In addition, I love a sale. A coupon. A bargain. I very rarely pay full price for anything. I need to save to really enjoy it. My prom dress senior year, $12 on clearance. My favorite PJ shorts, $1.50 from Goodwill. My favorite jeans, $19.99 on sale - and I've had them for six years.

So on to a few of my recent new favorite things. Products.
1) OPI nail polish. Not only do I get true satisfaction from the names of the polish, I've never used nail polish that is so smooth. As I've always used 99 cent NYC stuff. No more, no more.
2) Stila liquid eyeliner. Just purchased today. After years of buying, also 99 cent NYC pencils, I've splurged for glitter eyeliner that is waterproof and comes in a pretty little bottle with an awesome tip and smoothness like nothing else I've used before.
3) Listerine Whitening pre-brush rinse. Never would I leave this taste in my mouth like a post-brush rinse, but this one does the job and quite nicely. In fact that most recent compliment I've gotten was from my dentist, who said "you've got beautiful teeth." Thank you Doc.
4) Olay creamy scrub face wash. Although Olay has changed their packaging multiple times over the years I've used this. The product is still the same. Thank goodness. Removes makeup, dry skin, and dirt - but does so gracefully.

So although I'm not materialistic in my clothing purchases, I've transferred those feelings to the products I use for myself. Which I think is all the better. Don't get me wrong, I love shoes. I love accessories. I love new clothes. But I do so in moderation and with a creative twist that involves saving money and adding my own sense of style.

Now you know a little bit more about a few of my new favorite things. Specifically, did I mention that OPI came out with a new Texas collection. Coincidence? I think not. See you in a few months, Lone Star State. 01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment