Tuesday, November 29, 2011

"On Reserve."

On Reserve. What the airline industry calls my current schedule. I like to say I'm "On Duty" because I feel I can relate to that more. Residence Life won't leave my side yet. So this reserve deal, I can work up to six days in row, but must have the seventh off under our contract. I can work no more than 14 hours a day, but there are certain exceptions to work more. I can work no more than nine "legs" per day (back and forth trips). I must work a minimum of 40 hours a month to get my contracted pay of a minimum of 75 hours. Did you catch all that?

On Reserve. Starting tonight at midnight. 24 hours. Until this upcoming Monday at midnight. I'm not sure what to make of this new schedule and new lifestyle. I have no trips declared on our online scheduling site, but they don't have to put the trips online in advance. Sometimes, the trips don't need to be filled until the last minute, hence where I come in, a phone call away. Waiting, prepared to leave at a moments notice. So, for now I wait.

I wait in my classy uniform that I love. The blazer fits perfectly; no boxy shoulders, phew. The shirts are all still crisp and bright white, just being opened out of their package. My new black shoes could walk me all around the world if needed. I love wearing the uniform. From the moment I leave my car in the parking lot to the moment I return, I feel so proud to wear the wings I earned over the past month. I walk with extra excitement in the click-clack of my heels, for I am a flight attendant. I never, in my wildest dreams, thought this would be my current life.

01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment