Sunday, November 6, 2011

Goodbye Mall of America, Hello Mesaba Airlines.

Two weeks ago marked my last day at Mall of America as the Events Intern. It was definitely bittersweet. I have never quit a job before. Yes, I have held quite a few (alright many) jobs in my lifetime. But none that I have quit. Either it's been the end of the season, end of summer, or end of the school year. So my preparation of how to go about this was limited. I constantly asked myself the dreaded what-ifs. What if I was making a mistake. Where would have this internship led? I will never know. I tried as hard as possible to push those thoughts from my mind. Yet, constantly they recirculated.

I put in my two weeks notice on Friday, October 7th. I had known all week long that I had the job, I even accepted it without any hesitation, leading me to believe I was definitely making the right choice. But I did not know how to tell the mall. I enjoyed each and every day there. Each day was something different. Who can say they've met Anne Burrell, worn a Babar costume head, and seen the nooks and crannies of MOA, just to name a few neat perks of the internship. Well, I could say those things. And I miss them to this day. From standing in the middle of a full Rotunda, watching screaming fans cheer for Hilary Duff, to breaking down boxes in the Christmas storage room on the complete West side of the mall isolated in a huge concrete room. These are things I miss.

But I got great experience within the short month and a half time I was there. Learned SO much about event planning, the hard work that goes into events, and the long hours that it takes to get the job done. I learned that the cubicle life isn't for me. Maybe an office with a window and door, but not a cube. Hearing the person next to you cough, hearing every phone conversation, and having my eyes glued to a screen is not for me. Granted, I would totally do Event Planning in a non-profit setting if that opportunity ever arises. For the passion would exist in that position for a common cause versus a corporate routine planning to get the job done and move on to the next one. But that's a story for perhaps the very far off future.

For now. I've moved on to the next chapter in my book: Mesaba Airlines. And that's what the next post is dedicated to. For anyone reading, don't be afraid of change. There is some stat out there that young people will change careers/jobs/etc a certain number of times, a relatively high number, in their lifetime. Well, I'm a prime example of this. Do what you want, whether it be successful or not, you won't know until you try. 01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment