Monday, October 22, 2012

The World's LARGEST Aquarium!

Birthdays mean a lot to me. I have always had themed birthday parties growing up and love to celebrate and make the day seem special. Versus just another day, or the pessimistic 'another year older' attitude. This year, I decided to go on a day trip to Atlanta (why not, with this job!) to the World's Largest Aquarium! Ever since visiting Le 'Oceanografic in Valencia I have wanted to see the World's Largest Aquarium. As that one was the Second Largest Aquarium. With simply a day trip down to Atlanta and home that night, I did just that for my birthday! I saw the aquarium I never knew if I'd ever see. (And yes, this still means I love my job!)


GEORGIA AQUARIUM
The architecture to Aquariums, Museums, and Zoos, are all so intriguing to me. The appearance of this aquarium is massive as you walk across the park across the street from here. Very sleek, very shiny, and just the right amount of futuristic qualities. Opened in 2005, I love the new feeling everything has in this space. And how cool that the co-founder of The Home Depot, Bernie Marcus, donated $250 million for this aquarium. (I LOVE learning things like this!)


This my friends, is the whale shark. I had NO idea these were at this aquarium. I purposely don't look up what to expect, as that takes away the satisfaction of exploring the unknown for the first time. Things like ticket prices and opening hours I look up, and directions to the Aquarium, but exhibits and such? Nada. The GIANT whale sharks can grow to be the size of a school bus, one of the curators said. Georgia Aquarium currently has two of them, and has capacity for four grown whale sharks. The tank was beyond massive to anything I've seen before. Purely mesmerizing.

For those of you who have been to Sea Life (formerly Underwater World/Adventures) at Mall of America, this aquarium had a moving sidewalk too! This moved at a glacier pace (but that's what was so perfect about it) for about 200 feet or so. I took a nerd chart to see what fishies were what. And yes, I was the only one around that took one. Meh. When those whale shark shadows went right above you, you definitely feel like a small person. (Just wait til I post about my whale watching tour two weeks after this adventure, do you ever feel small out on the ocean!)

Sadly, I was a bit disappointed with their beluga display. So much focus seems to be on the massive aquarium (based on the gallon size, making it the largest) that the other exhibits seem so small or not as exciting. Which is a shame! Because these four belugas deserve some loving too! I didn't spend as much time looking at these guys as I did the whale sharks, perhaps because I was so intrigued by something new and unfamiliar. I need to see my belugas in the wild. That will intrigue me SO much more. Or an up-close encounter. But I can't quite justify the money yet nor do I have the 48 advance booking capabilities with my job. Hohum. Nevertheless, these melon-head, alien white creatures are still my favorite.

Nothing like being up close and personal with the penguins! Sadly, no penguins came into the picture. But they were there. I promise.

A highlight of the trip? This guy! I never have been a huge frog person. But, with many popping up at home on our front porch, in the garden, and even in the watering can, I have come to appreciate and like these slimy creatures. This guy was my favorite. A special exhibit, Frogs - A Chorus of Color, had this Buddha frog. He has me smiling still to this day.

This is how close I was to a whale shark! On the behind-the-scenes tour. The tour was worth it to see this 6.3 million gallon tank (the rest of the tour, not so much.) There were once four whale sharks at the Aquarium. However, one died in 2007, and the other was euthanized that same year. The other two (Alice and Trixie) have been doing fine ever since being transported from Taiwan to the Aquarium in 2006 via a MD-11 aircraft!
And here is a favorite activity to do. Make a penny! These are perfect for scrapbooking, and usually remain in my wallet for quite some time. They are definitely fun to stumble upon when grabbing change. The Aquarium also has a dolphin show (strictly a show, not really an 'educational presentation' like we have with Sparky at Como Zoo) with lights, music, and acrobatic actors/swimmers. Very similar to Sea World's show. Entertainment based. And a strict policy of no photography.

With a small hiccup of having to catch a flight to Detroit and then home that evening, instead of direct, the day was still well worth it. I absolutely love exploring new places, and especially when zoos and aquariums are involved. That will never go away. Oh, and even though this was my 24th birthday, I still managed to get away with having a kids meal for lunch. Now, that just adds to the 'perfect' everything these days.
01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment