Monday, March 4, 2013

Part Two: Garden Blooms.

While fruits and veggies are ideal since they are edible, I adore flowers. Like I said in Part One: Tilling the Garden I grew up in an apartment. Yet, being on first floor I did dig up the area outside my window (at the time we knew the management real well) and planted gladiolas each year. One of my favorite flowers right next to carnations. These easy bulbs to plant come up no matter what the condition is you plant them in, I swear. Whether the soil gets bone dry or watered too much, these bulbs still come up. Hardy. And beginner-proof. (Note that future first gardeners!). And gorgeous I might add.

I have also planted tulips around a small crab apple tree at the apartment many years ago, but they never came up come spring. I was disappointed and discouraged to try again. Well, my mom planted tulips two years ago here at our home and last spring we had tulips! I cannot take credit, because I still have not had success, but I am hopeful for the future. This past fall I planted lots of tulips in the back yard (I think...) and the front yard. Fingers crossed they will be coming up with the next couple of months. I will be giddy with joy if they come up. Me and bulbs have our moments. Gladiolas I can do - tulips, a bit tricky for me. I also tried forcing tulip bulbs this winter inside, I have one sprouting right now, but the other two, completely dormant. They must really like sleeping.

On another blooming topic: I love perennials. A lot. Who wouldn't like plants and flowers that come up every year still looking just as great the first year if not better? Exactly my point.

Part Two: Garden Blooms.

Alright. The lilacs I collected from a walk to the river (no, I did not 'steal' them from someones' yard) but we do have two lilac bushes that hopefully will bloom this Spring or next. Bleeding hearts + a single tulip. #springtimebouquet

Gladiola time! Plus lilies that line our driveway.

My mom's favorite: hydrangeas.
Plus hosta blooms in this vase. 
This year, I will work on making the soil more acidic so the
hydrangeas are back to the deep rich blue my mom prefers.

Scrunched up sunflower + when she finally opened up. These guys grew over 6 feet tall and made the garden feel like a jungle. Truly amazing. All from one single seed. To which I roasted the seeds at the end of the season (See Part Three).


LOVE this picture. Country Bumpkin right here.
The golden color of the sunflower + blue sky gets me.
And this is why I love gardening, people.


Bleeding Hearts. One of my favorite perennials. Each year these grow larger and larger. The first time I remember seeing these was in elementary school when I was a school patrol. When I walked my one kindergarten home in the afternoon I would see these line the sidewalks of some houses.
Ever since, I love them. I still don't know if I enjoy the white or pink ones more!


More gladiolas. So gorgeous. Sturdy stems. Vibrant colors.
#summertime

I started this post by saying fruits and veggies are ideal because they are edible. Well, I know many flowers are, too. In fact, I would love to make my own candied flowers someday. In addition, to homemade tea. Here is a link to an About.com article on edible flowers for those curious.

01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment