Sunday, November 11, 2012

Pumpkin, Dark Chocolate, Granola Muffins.

These muffins are delicious. And I like to think nutritious. (Just go with it.) The perfect cloudy, chilly day to bake brought this recipe into my hands. And now this recipe will never, ever be leaving my life. Enjoy!


This is how every kitchen should look when baking. I love setting out all my ingredients first so I don't have to open up the cupboard every five seconds. Plus, I feel like Rachel Ray when she grabs every ingredient needed and balances them all in her arms until she sets them on the counter. What a challenge. I cannot wait to have my own cute kitchen someday, with lots of canisters and ingredients galore! 


The batter in the final stages all whipped up! First whisk the dry ingredients together, followed by adding the wet ingredients (in this case brown sugar is considered a wet ingredient) then the granola and chocolate chips.


All ready to be baked! I chose to use the GIANT muffin pan I have. This way I feel like I just went to a coffee shop and indulged in a huge, yummy looking muffin instead of a tiny regular one that I would eat two of anyway! Plus, this recipe made exactly six giant muffins with lots of granola crumble for the tops!





I usually read all my recipes off my computer on the counter next to me. But I really like using recipe cards, magazine cut-outs, or handwritten ones like this. I copied the recipes from online and had them on the counter next to me. I love getting a few crumbs on them, or a dollop of batter, because the next time I use it I see how yummy it was and enjoy seeing how 'used' some recipes get. I enjoy being super hands-on and messy when I am in the kitchen!


These are so yummy! I might add a bit more pumpkin spices to really boost the flavor next time. But the richness of the pumpkin and sweetness of the chocolate chips are a great balance with the more bold flavor whole wheat flour taste provides. The brown sugar/granola combination in the muffin and on top satisfy the sweet tooth while feeling surprisingly healthy!


A great treat with a cup of tea. I'll take it.

And now the recipe: Pumpkin, Dark Chocolate, Granola Muffins:

Granola Crumble Topping:
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp cold, unsalted butter
1/2 cup granola (I already had some mixed up, you can buy this if you don't want to make it yourself!)

Muffins:
1 cup flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 ginger
2 large eggs
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil (could substitute plain yogurt!)
1 can pumpkin
3 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)
3/4 cup granola
2/3 cup dark chocolate chips

Granola Crumble Topping:
1. Mix the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon together
2. Cut butter into little pieces and add to mixture
3. Use your hands and create a crumbly/soft dough
4. Add granola! Set aside.

Muffins:
1. Mix dry ingredients together (wait to add granola and chocolate chips!). Set aside.
2. Mix wet ingredients together (brown sugar counts as a wet ingredient)
3. Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients.
4. Add granola and chocolate chips.
5. Pour into a greased muffin pan (batch will make 6 large muffins or 12 regular muffins)
6. Sprinkle crumb topping over muffins
7. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 25-30 minutes for large muffins) at 400 degrees.
8. Allow to cool for 2 minutes in pan, transfer to wire rack for cooling another 2 minutes.
Eat while still warm!

01 02 03
04 Pin It 05 06
07 08 17 18

No comments:

Post a Comment